28 Jan Library Day in the Life 6 – Thursday
This week I’m participating in the Library Day in the Life project which charts the day-to-day activities of library workers at different points of the year. This is the fourth time I’ve participated; you can see my earlier posts from July 2009, January 2010 and July 2010. I’m currently a full-time Researcher at Evidence Base, Birmingham City University, UK. This will be the first time I complete the project in this role and I hope it helps explain a little bit about the type of work I do.
The eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that today is not actually Thursday (I was tempted to change the publication date but I can’t bear lying to myself). But then this does tell you something about a day in the life of a librarian – it can be unpredictable and plans can change throughout the day so you have to be flexible. In my case it included a rather entertaining conference call (that’s a whole other blog post!) which took far too long and ate up most of my afternoon.
So, Thursday for me included:
- A bit of a lie in (I didn’t get home last night until late and was shattered), then a morning working at home to catch up on a few emails I’d deferred dealing with whilst I was away
- A lunchtime journey to work reading some internal update documents for the Information Environment programme evaluation on my Kindle (there’s so much going on in the programme so we keep each other updated via email and sharing document on our intranet on Sharepoint
- Brief catch up with colleagues – first time all 3 of us have ever been in at the same time (one was on maternity leave and works part time hours; the other works mainly from home)
- Conference call with feedback on the survey I drafted earlier this week to get feedback on deposit behaviour
- Rush over to the library to see Damyanti before she left for the day, and to borrow the iPad to take to London with me next week when I’ll need to write up notes during various meetings
- Call a Birmingham number to check out a lost iPhone of an international Skype contact who lost his phone when he recently visited the UK – unfortunately the number didn’t go anywhere
- Manage email to get back down to the glorious inbox zero
- Manage to do list for next actions on projects and some CILIP committee work
But the highlight of the day was definitely the evening which was the West Midlands Career Development Group Christmas meal, held in January to make it easier for people to attend and to take advantage of January restaurant deals.
Unfortunately some people dropped out last minute due to other commitments but although there was only 5 of us, it was a lovely evening with great food and wonderful company 🙂